If you’ve been using Windows Live Mail and plan to upgrade to a new computer, you may want to follow these instructions to get your email transferred. These instructions assume some advanced knowledge of Microsoft Outlook.
- Go to Office365.com to purchase the full Microsoft Office 2016 suite (if you don’t already have Microsoft Outlook).
- Setup access to a compatible email account using POP3. This part is important because if you setup a regular Gmail or other IMAP-like synchronizing email account, the system will try to upload (synchronize) your imported emails and that can really slow down the process or cause it to fail.
- Open Windows Live Mail.
- Open Microsoft Outlook.
- From the File Menu in Windows Live Mail, choose Export to Excel.
- Choose to export all folders or select the ones you’d like to export.
- If the process completes, Microsoft Outlook will now have a folder with your messages in it.
- Save your messages to a PST file, or plan on using the default Outlook PST file and copy it to the new computer after the import / transfer is complete.