If you’re a new user of the Tile property locator system, you’ll find getting setup is very easy.
In about a year, you will be notified that your tiles will soon stop working. This is because each tile is apparently good for a 1-year subscription only, then it must be replaced.
Let’s say you start with the Four-Tile kit, then a year later decide that you really only need one Tile. At that point, you’ll need to replace one Tile, but delete the other three used Tiles. This is where things get a little tricky.
It’s not possible for you to delete Tiles without the help of customer service. You’ll need to contact customer care between 8:30 am and 5:30 pm Pacific Time. During that time, a chat option will be available and appear in the lower right corner of the Contact Customer Care page.
During your text chat session with Customer Care, you’ll need to provide the following:
- The email address you used to setup your Tile App account.
- The name(s) of any Tiles you want removed.
- The Tile Identifier numbers for the Tile(s) you want removed.
- You can get the Tile Identifier numbers by tapping on the specific Tile name in the Tile App, then tapping Options, then tapping Details. The Tile Identifier number will appear on the Details screen.
Note: When communicating with Customer Service about deleting your old Tiles, the representative may act like you’re asking them to do something very unusual and exclaim: “Are you really sure you want to delete your old Tiles? This is permanent and they can never be used again.” This seems odd since the Tile App is saying the Tiles are about to exceed their usable lifespan. Even so, you need to persist and have the old worn out tiles removed.
An odd thing may happen when you replace an old Tile. If you follow the instructions provided with the new Tile, you’ll do the following:
- Open Tile App.
- Tap on the name of the Tile you plan to replace.
- Tap on Options.
- Tap on Details.
- On the Details screen, tap Replace Tile.
- You’ll see a message stating: “You are about to add a new Tile to replace the current Tile. We will copy the name and photo to your new Tile. Your current Tile will become unusable.”
- Continue through the guided instructions.
- When you are done, the new tile will appear in use and the old tile will no longer be on the list
The instructions that come with the new Tile will state that the old Tile will become unusable after being replaced. However, here’s the possible odd thing that might happen… You might be able to add the old Tile to the Tile App again and continue using it. However, it’s not clear how long a tile can be in use before the battery actually stops working. When a Customer Service representative checks your account, the old Tile will appear to be a Tile that had never been activated before. They will insist that the old Tile that you’ve reactivated has never been used before.
One thought on “TheTileApp.com – How to Replace or Remove a Tile”
Really, contact customer service when you retire a tile or phone? Who is in charge over there? How hard is it to just allow you users to control their own devices?