Here are a few of the options available for recording television shows to DVD:
- TiVo. For about $12 a month, the TiVo subscription service provides a sophisticated user interface and intelligent content searching system making it easy to find and record all of your favorite shows to hard drive media system.
- A TiVo Roamio DVR deck is required. The basic Roamio system is $200 and records up to 500 hours of programming. The Roamio Plus is $400 and records 1,000 hours of programming along with the ability to watch recorded videos on your mobile device while away from home.
- To record to DVD, you’ll need Roxio Media Creator (for Windows) or Roxio Toast (for Apple). However, compatibility with TiVo has diminished over the years, and support seems to be nonexistent with only user support forums as a resource.
- Panasonic DMR-EH69 DVR. A Panasonic DVR system doesn’t have the intelligent channel guide and show searching features of TiVo, but that also means there’s no monthly subscription fee. Once you determine which channel your shows are on, you can program the deck to record them. The 320GB deck is the best choice and can be purchased from Amazon ($450) or World Import ($439). So, it’s similar in price to the TiVo Roamio Plus deck, yet with fewer hours of recording capacity. Read more on Amazon.
- Magnavox MDR557H/F7. At $326, the Magnavox DVR system with 1,000 GB of storage is by far the best value and offers about 3X the storage of a Panasonic desk. Read more on Amazon.
TiVo to DVD Instructions
Creating a DVD on a PC
To create DVDs on a PC, you will need to install Roxio Creator.
Visit the Roxio Creator 2012 home page for more information or to purchase Roxio Creator 2012.
- Hide the steps
Creating a DVD on a Mac
To create DVDs on a Mac, you will need to install Toast 10 Titanium. To burn Blu-ray discs or HD DVDs of your high-definition TiVo recordings, you will also need the optional HD/BD Plug-in.
Visit www.roxio.com/mactivotogo for more information or to purchase Roxio Toast Titanium software.
- Hide the steps
- Before you begin, make sure that you have transferred your shows to your Mac using Roxio Toast Titanium software.
- Launch Roxio Toast Titanium.
- Select the “Video” category, then select the “DVD-Video” project type from the left navigation window.
- If not already visible, open the Toast Media Browser by clicking the pull-down “Window” menu and selecting “Show Media Browser.”
- From the pull-down menu in the Media Browser, select “TiVo.”
- Select the show(s) you want to add, and drag them to the Toast window. Your selected shows will be added to your DVD-Video project.
- In the DVD-Video left navigation window, choose a menu style.
- To title your DVD, select “More” and enter a DVD title in the “Disc Name” field. Then click “OK.”
- Click the red button on the bottom right of the screen to burn your DVD.
- In the dialog box, set your DVD burning options and click “OK.”
Note: If you have Toast Titanium and the HD/BD Plug-in, you can also create Blu-ray discs and High-Definition DVDs from your high-definition TiVo recordings.
See the Toast Titanium User Guide for more about creating DVDs.