If you’ve ever mistakenly added a word to you custom dictionary using right click and Learn Spelling for a misspelled or unknown word, you will want to correct this in your custom dictionary.
Follow these steps to update your custom dictionary.
- Open your user Library folder. To do this, hold down the Option key and then from the Go menu in the Finder choose Library.
- Open the Spelling folder.
- Open the Text Edit program found in your Applications.
- Click and drag the LocalDictionary file (found in the Spelling folder) to the Text Edit icon in your Dock. This will open the file in the editor.
- From the File menu, choose Duplicate to create a backup copy of the file. Give it a name like LocalDictionary Backup.
- Make the desired changes to the main file (not the backup file).
- If you’re on a newer Mac, the LocalDictionary file will update automatically.